- La synagogue Shalom de la congrégation sépharade du Zimbabwe
par Benny Leon
L'intérieur de la Synagogue Shaare Shalom du Zimbabwe fut consacré en 1958 par le Rabbi Salomon Gaon, Grand Rabbin du commonwealth anglais.
SHALOM SYNAGOGUE OF THE SEPHARDI HEBREW CONGREGATION OF ZIMBABWE
The interior of the Sha'are Shalom Synagogue of the Sephardi Hebrew Congregation of Zimbabwe, which was consecrated in 1958 at a ceremony attended by the Haham, Rabbi Dr. Salamon Gaon, Chief Rabbi of the Sephardi Congregations of the British Common- wealth. Many of the Sephardim from Rhodes Island arrived in the British colony of Southern Rhodesia in the 1920's and 1930's. Mr. B. S. Leon was responsible for bringing out to this colony many Rodislis. He could see the clouds of war looming in Europe and encouraged many to immigrate. At the rear of the synagogue is a plaque unveiled by him. The congregation was founded in 1931 with Mr. Behor David Almeleh as its first president. He served as its honorary Gabbai until 1978 when he died at the age of 99 years.
At its peak in the 1950's the congregation numbered over two thousand. Today it has just fewer than 200 souls. The present president is Mr. Philip Hasson, with the Rev. Leon Mayo as its Gabbai, and Messers Jacques Hasson and Leon Hanan as assistant Gabbais.